Used 4996 times.
2021 Ultima Handicap Chase 5 Places Each Way
Ultima Handicap Chase Additional Each Way Places:
The Ultima Handicap Chase, historically known at the Festival Trophy Handicap Chase, is always the first large entry Grade 3 Handicap Chase of the Cheltenham Festival.
Scheduled as the third race on the opening Festival Tuesday, the Ultima Chase is a 3 mile chase over 19 fences, which has a historical link to the Grand National due to its length and the fact that 19 fences are jumped.
With fields of up to 23 runners in recent years, online bookmakers are always looking to start the Cheltenham Festival with a bang by giving away opening day offers including 5 places or potentially even 6 places each way on the Ultima Chase. Of course, offering 5 places each way or sometimes even 6 places each way is an excellent way to offer maximum profit opportunity for punters and is a promotion which will drive 2021 Cheltenham Festival new customer numbers for savvy bookmakers.
2021 Ultima Handicap 5 Places Each Way
The Ultima Handicap Chase has seen some quality winners in recent times. 2019 saw Cheltenham course and distance winner Beware The Bear win at 10/1 for Nicky Henderson. 2016 and 2017 dual winner Un Temps Pour Tout trained by David Pipe.
Un Temps Pour Tout had won the French Champion Hurdle in 2015, beating Hurricane Fly and Zarkandar into the bargain, and his wins in the Ultima Chase were the second and third for trainer David Pipe following on from An Accordian in 2008. Jonjo O’Neill trained Holywell won this race in 2014 and went on to finish 4th in the 2016 Cheltenham Gold Cup, highlighting that this 3 mile handicap can be a stepping stone to bigger championship races. Holywell went on to finish runner-up in last year’s race, highlighting that O’Neill runners are very adept at this test. Indeed Jonjo has saddled the winner in both 2012 and 2014.
With anything up to 23 runners across recent renewals, online bookmakers pay out the standard 4 places each way at 1/4 odds or more often 1/5 odds for this handicap chase. However with the Ultima Chase being the first handicap of the Cheltenham Festival, a growing number of bookmakers over recent seasons have promoted an additional place or two, with 5 or even 6 places possible for the 2021 running. Remember online bookmakers have a new customer war chest for the Cheltenham Festival, so offering additional each way places attracts new customers who spot the value to be had. Naturally 5 places covers circa 25% of the field – a situation which can only drive the chances of profit.
At the time of writing, no bookmakers have extended beyond the standard each way terms. As soon as this changes we’ll confirm details here.
For Cheltenham Ante-Post punters, bet365 have the most comprehensive horse racing offering:
ITV Racing 4/1 Offer
- Back any single winner at 4/1 or more on any race televised live on ITV Racing and you can have a risk free bet to the same stake (up to £50*) on the next race broadcast live on ITV Racing. This offer applies to the FIRST single bet placed by a customer on each race shown live on ITV Racing.
- If your risk free bet also wins at odds of 4/1 or more, you qualify for a risk free bet on the next race televised live on ITV Racing. Keep backing those winners and bet365 will keep giving you risk free bets! If your risk free bet loses, your stake (up to £50*) will be refunded to your account.
- This offer will not apply where a stake has been fully Cashed Out. Where a stake has been partially Cashed Out, any refund amount or subsequent risk free bet amount will be equal to the remaining active stake. If a qualifying bet is edited using our Edit Bet feature, any refund amount will be equal to the new stake and not the original stake. Where a risk free bet is changed using Edit Bet, no refund will be given and the offer will no longer apply. Where more than one selection in the same race is placed on the same bet slip, the first selection is deemed to be the one which is highest on the bet slip. Offer applies to bets placed on Win and Each-Way Fixed Odds markets and Enhanced Place Terms markets only. All other markets, including adjusted place terms (Each Way Extra), Ante-Post bets and Tote/Pari-Mutuel/Colossus (bets and dividends), are excluded from this offer.
- Bets must be placed in the usual way and can be paid for from either your Withdrawable Balance or Bet Credits. Bets placed from your Withdrawable Balance will be refunded to your Withdrawable Balance and bets placed with Bet Credits will be refunded as Bet Credits.
- *or currency equivalent.
- Only available to new and eligible customers.
- T&Cs apply. Further details.
Ultima Handicap Chase Each Way Places Tracker
We track the value dished out by online bookmakers across the major National Hunt races. Extended each way terms gives punters a huge boost in terms of profit potential and is the perfect promotion for those who love to back big priced long shots. With some High Street bookmakers still categorically giving their customers the standard each way terms, savvy punters have been using online bookmakers who have been offering far better value to their customers now for years. The 2017 renewal of the Ultima Chase saw 23 starters go to post, with 18 in 2018, 24 in 2019 and 23 in 2020, hence some extended each way place offers have been made available of late.
2021 Each Way Terms Offered:
- 7 places each-way 1/5 odds: Skybet
- 5 places each-way 1/5 odds: 888Sport, Betfair Sportsbook, Betfred, BetVictor, Boylesports, Coral, Paddy Power, Ladbrokes, Unibet, William Hill.
- 4 places each-way 1/4 odds: bet365.
2020 Each Way Terms Offered:
- 6 places each-way 1/5 odds: Betfair Sportsbook, Betway, Paddy Power, Skybet
- 5 places each-way 1/4 odds: bet365
- 5 places each-way 1/5 odds: 888Sport, Betfred, BetVictor, Boylesports, Coral, Ladbrokes, Unibet, William Hill
2019 Each Way Terms Offered:
- 5 places each way 1/5 odds: Betfair, Boylesports, Paddy Power, Skybet.
- 4 places each way 1/4 odds: 888sport, bet365, Betfred, BetVictor, Coral, Ladbrokes, William Hill, Unibet.
- Please Note: bet365 offered an Each Way Extra 5ew 1/4 odds extended market
2018 Each Way Terms Offered:
- 5 places each way 1/5 odds: Betfair, Betfred, Boylesports, Paddy Power, Skybet.
- 4 places each way 1/4 odds: 888sport, bet365, BetVictor, Coral, Ladbrokes, William Hill, Unibet.
- Please Note: bet365 offered an Each Way Extra 5ew 1/4 odds extended market
2017 Each Way Terms Offered:
- 5 Places EW 1/4 Odds: bet365, Betfred, BetVictor, Coral, Ladbrokes, Totesport
- 5 Places EW 1/5 Odds: Paddy Power, William Hill
- 4 Places EW: Betfair Sportsbook
2016 Each Way Terms Offered:
- 5 places each way: bet365, Betfair Sportsbook, BetVictor, Paddy Power.
- 4 places each way: Betfred, Coral, Ladbrokes, Stan James, Totesport, William Hill.
Here’s a breakdown of the horses and their prices that have been paid out on over and above the standard 4 places each way in the Ultima Chase from 2016 onwards:
- 2020: 5th Big River 20/1, 6th Cobra De Mai 20/1
- 2019: 5th Flying Angel 25/1
- 2018: 5th Singlefarmpayment 8/1
- 2017: 5th Go Conquer 20/1
- 2016: 5th Kruzhlinin 9/1
Festival Trophy Handicap Chase Recent Results
- 2020 The Conditional B Powell D Bridgwater 10-6 15/2 23 runners
- 2019 Beware The Bear. J McGrath NJ Henderson 10/1 24 runners
- 2018 Coo Star Sivola. L Kelly N Williams 10-10 5/1F 18 runners
- 2017 Un Temps Pour Tout T Scudamore D Pipe 11-12 9/1 23 runners
- 2016 Un Temps Pour Tout T Scudamore D Pipe 11-7 11/1 23 runners
- 2015 The Druids Nephew B Geraghty NP Mulholland 11-3 8/1 24 runners
- 2014 Holywell R McLernon JJ O’Neill 11-6 10/1 23 runners
- 2013 Golden Chieftain B Powell CL Tizzard 10-5 28/1 24 runners
- 2012 Alfie Sherrin R McLernon JJ O’Neill 10-0 14/1 19 runners
- 2011 Bensalem R Thornton A King 11-2 5/1 19 runners
- 2010 Chief Dan George P Aspell J Moffatt 10-10 33/1 24 runners